Summer is here. The New York Yankees will meet the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Tony Hayward, the chief executive of British Petroleum, might return from the Isle of Wight yacht race, where his $700,000 yacht placed fourth in its class in the regatta. A new principal, Karen Hurley, takes over the reins at Palm Crest Elementary School.
The beginning of summer is traditionally a time of when many La Cañadans look for exciting things to do. In the spirit of summer energy, the following is my semiannual top 10 list of Southern California's greatest places, in and around the 91011.
1) The Dodgers return this week. The road trip is over. They'll play the New York Yankees in the latest edition in baseball's longest rivalry. The two teams met for the first time in 1941, when the Brooklyn Dodgers lost to the Yankees, thus acquiring the moniker "them bums." Don't get me wrong. I'm a loyal fan, even when the pitching is weak. This year, the McCourts are still divorcing, and the bullpen is inconsistent. Worse still, rumor has it that this is the last year for Dodgers Manager Joe Torre, who once led the Yankees (1996-2007). Dodger Stadium, (866) 363-4377, http://dodgers.mlb.com.
2) The brainchild of local grads (Prep '98). A Cuban bakery in nearby Monrovia. The potato balls are amazing at Merengue Bakery & Cafe, http://www.merenguebakery.com, (626) 358-5650
3) Nothing says La Cañada like the Apple Cart. There are complimentary chips, dips, and you can buy gifts and other essentials. (818) 952-3342.
4) Head to Montrose for Indian food. Dine in or take out at India's Flavor, 3303 N. Verdugo Road. (818) 957-5500
5) Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. The Foothill Boulevard Starbucks, where Joe Puglia and other columnists hang out, some more nervously than others, on deadline days. Great ambience.
6) Penelope's Cafe, Books & Gallery, is another local coffee hangout, plus oatmeal. http://www.penelopescafe.com (818) 790-4386.
7) Zumba! Try it! Don't buy it!. http://www.zumba.com/us Local gyms and the YMCA have classes. "Bring the party home!"
8 & 9) Music in the Park. All summer. June 27 — Jack Lantz Big Band! July 4th Classic Rock, July 11 Elvis Tribute and movie in the park.
10) Last but not least: Summer Beach Bus! Enjoy the surf, sand and surroundings at Santa Monica Beach.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment