Anita’s ‘Top Ten Picks’ (this week)
Top ten lists? They’re not just for Dave Letterman anymore.
The Neiman Marcus catalog has them (“Top Ten Reasons to Love Balenciaga”).
Time Magazine has them (“Top Ten Campaign Gaffes”). And Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s online solar system simulator (http://space.jpl.nasa.gov) has been named to several of them.
Some weeks are so nice that they are a walking advertisement for life in Southern California. Who needs a vacation? Gas prices are down, so it’s time to pursue life.
1. The new improved Los Angeles Dodgers with Manny Ramirez. Buy a dreadlocks baseball cap. Sing the “Star Spangled Banner” really loud. Catch a snack from Roger Owens, the peanut guy. At the seventh inning stretch, sing “Take me out to the ball game” really loud. Consider calling the Dodger help line to complain about the umps. After the game, sing “I Love L.A.” really loud.
2. Drive the 101 (formerly “El Camino Real”). Look for Jay Leno in his weird stainless steel bullet car.
3. Go to Malibu. Watch the sunset from Duke’s.
4. The long route: two hours on the Marina Flyer. (South through bumpy surf, then west to Catalina.)
5. Morning services at Adat Ari El synagogue in Valley Village. Always wonderful. Inspirational discussions. Stay for coffee and bagels afterward.
6. Ride a glass elevator. There’s one leading up to Cheech Marin’s Chicano Art exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. (LACMA: Los Angelenos/Chicano Painters of L.A.: Selections from the Cheech Marin Collection through Nov. 2.)
7. Grab dinner. Try Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo.
8. Sunday morning coffee at home. Need I say more?
9. Sunday dinner. Dim Sum at 888 Seafood in Rosemead can’t be beat. Go with friends. Lots of friends.
10. Afterward, come home to the foothills.
ANITA SUSAN BRENNER is a longtime resident of the Foothills and a trial attorney in private practice in PasadenaCrescenta Valley Sun: La Crescenta, California
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment